1. Modal verbs of probability, present and future.Full description
An extense list of the Modal Auxiliary verbs, and examples on how to use themDescripción completa
modals verbs exercisesFull description
Listening exercise focused on modal verbs
exercises with modal verbsFull description
Fill-in-the-blank Exercises for Modal VerbsFull description
Auxiliary VerbsFull description
teaching englishDescripción completa
ACTIVITY MODAL VERBS
1. You a) shouldn’t b) mustn’t c) can’t
drink the tap water. It’s not safe.
2. We only have to be there at 1 o’clock and it’s 9 o’clock now. We a) don’t have to b) mustn’t c) won’t 3. You a) could b) must c) should
submit the report by Friday, otherwise the boss will be furious.
4. The exhibition was free so I a) didn’t have to b) mustn’t c) hadn’t to 5. In schools in England pupils a) must b) should c) have to 6. I think people who live abroad able to communicate with the locals. a) have to b) must c) should
wear a uniform.
learn the language of the country to be
7. This meeting is not obligatory. You a) don’t must b) don’t have to c) don’t have 8. This dish is really spicy. It a) must b) may c) can’t
have chilli in it.
9. Amy a) may b) mustn’t c) can’t
be away. Her bag is still on her desk.
10. I’m not sure where he is but, he a) might b) must c) can’t 11. He has grey hair. He a) must b) can’t c) may
be in his room.
be older than 30.
12. He a) may b) can c) does
not remember me. We haven’t seen each other for ages.
13. He a) must, may b) can’t, must c) may, has to
be serious. He
14. I used to a) be able to b) be able c) can
speak German very well.
15. If I had better communicative skills, I would media. a) can b) could c) be able to 16. When I graduate, I will a) can b) to can c) be able to
get a job in the
get a good job and support my family.
17. When I was young I a) can b) able to c) could
swim faster than anyone in my class.
18. I see much better now with my new glasses. a) was able to b) can c) could 19. I a) can b) should c) ‘m able to
help you with your homework tonight if you want.
20. I would love a) to can b) be able to c) to be able to
play the piano.
KEY 1. A 2. A 3. B 4. A 5. A 6. C 7. B 8. A 9. C 10. A 11. A 12. A 13. B 14. A 15. C 16. C 17. C 18. B 19. A 20. C